Sunday, June 20, 2010

I have a couple of confessions to make. The first confession is that I love to get my nails done professionally. It is what I do now and then to pamper myself.
I am sure that many are saying, "That's the confession?!" You need to understand something about me. I hate to spend money frivolously; I want to see something long term for my money! So, you see, this is a big deal for me! At least I get some color for a week or so!
Papa always gives me the go ahead, so I don't feel wasteful. Besides me having pretty nails there is the opportunity for Him and I to touch others in the process. He and I never go anywhere separately!
At the nail salon my favorite lady, Twee, was available to serve me. Twee and I always have good conversations and this one was no different. She was sharing with me how she and her siblings had lost their beloved father this past October and how they missed him terribly. The family is Vietnamese and very close. They do everything together, from meals to vacations and his absense is felt deeply. There is a glaring void where he should be.
Twee then asked me what had been happening in my life. I told her. She stopped and looked intently at me and said, "And you have peace, don't you?!"
I assured her that I did. This then allowed me to encourage her! Isn't Papa good?!
We ended with a decision that we both would count our blessings instead of our griefs. She is going to try to rejoice in who her father was and all that he did. I will rejoice in the progress my husband is making and all the wonderful support we are receiving through this season of our lives.
If we get stuck focusing on all the pain and troubles that come our way, we miss out on all the joys and blessings that are woven through all of it.
Ray is definitely progressing. He is holding himself up straighter and able to move from the bed to the wheelchair without the sling. The aides help him to his feet and he is able to balance himself and then shuffle his feet enough to be able to sit down!
His mental ability seems to be improving also. He still gets confused at times, as he did today. My honey wanted me to search for his wallet, as he thought he had misplaced it. I explained that it was home, which confused him because he thought he had had it with him at the hospital.
We had a discussion about why this happens to him. Why does he remember things incorrectly? I gave him my best educated guess; the brain is injured and thus things get jumbled. It isn't like he is remembering things that never happened or that he never had. It is just that the order is a little skewed right now.
After this conversation the Ray I know showed up; the Ray who is my detail man.
Here's the second confession.
I miss many details; I have trouble seeing the trees for the forest. Often I do not think out the steps needed to follow something to its logical end. Ray misses not a one, which comes in very handy in our relationship! The lovely man watches my back.
I had many items to take to my car at the end of visiting Ray today and was trying to figure out how to do it. Our sons had arrived when I did, so I had had help bringing everything to Ray's room. They had to leave before I did, so I was on my own.
There was my laptop so I could show him the photos of last night's extravaganza; my lunch, so I could eat with him and the light from our eye doctor, which Ray stares at for twenty minutes each day. In addition to what came in with me there was his laundry and, also, two vases of flowers that Ray insisted I take home with me!
I was going to look like a pack mule!
My husband suggested that I put a few items on his lap and then we could go to the front door together. Good thinking on my man's part!
When we got outside we discovered it was raining, so I left my purse with him while I ran everything else over to the car. As I gathered up the items and turn away from Ray I heard him quietly suggest that I might want to take my keys with me! Another good idea, baby!! Who, exactly, is suffering from brain injuries??
How many blessings did you count?

No comments:

Post a Comment