Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Countdown

For many years the first of December marked the beginning of "Countdown to Christmas!"  We had a variety of advent calendars hanging here and there whose activities our sons enjoyed taking part in each day.  One year, when they were all teenagers and had turned their noses up at such juvenile activites, I decided not to bring them all out.  After all, it would have been solely for my benefit, or so I thought.  Jonathan noticed immediately and chastised me for such neglect.  In his opinion something would be missing in the whole advent season without them.
Since that time I have been careful to hang each one and dutifully keep them up to date!

I have my own type of countdown.  December usually finds me seeking to focus on what Advent is all about.  This year is no different.
Today I read the first chapter of Revelation and I noted in my journal what I learned about this One Whose birthday we celebrate.
This Jesus, who became flesh and blood is so much more than anyone could ever imagine! 
Max Lucado wrote a small book about the incarnation.  I do not recall its title, but it was about the journey the Glory of Heaven took to earth.  It is a worthwhile read.
Here's what I found in Revelation:

This Holy One, who is Glorious desires to communicate with us...
Through Him we have grace and peace...
He is God's Faithful Witness..
          The First born from the dead
          Ruler of kings
He loves us...
He released us from our sins...
He made us part of His kingdom...
           We are His priests
Glory and dominion are His..
He is coming...
He is the beginning and the end of all things...
He is Almighty...
He is the Living One...
He lives forever; there's no death in His future...
He holds the keys to death and hell...

When I reflect on the Christmas story, I will not stop at an innocent Babe in the manger.  That isn't what Papa intends. 
We need to join the shepherds, who when they gazed upon that Baby; worshipped!
Worship happens when we recognize who His is. 
He is worthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment