Thursday, December 23, 2010

Focus

In Psalm forty David wrote:
"I waited patiently for the LORD; and He inclined to me, and heard my cry.
He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay;
and He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm.
And He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God;
many will see and fear, and will trust in the LORD."

I could have written it myself.  Maybe not as eloquently, but the words would be similar.
When I reflect on Who He is and what He has done in my life, I have a hard time containing myself!
You would think that during the Christmas season it would be easier to stay focused on these wonderful truths.  Not so easy at all.  Too much vies for my attention.

However, when the focus is Jesus, then the season will be joyful.  So I am determined to take time to remember and refocus.

Reading through Psalm ninety-eight this morning my heart was stirred.  I strongly encourage all who read this to crack open their Bible and see what this psalm has to say!
Such joy!  He has done great things!! 
Jesus birth changes everything!

I continue to work my way through Revelation, alongside readings that reflect this Christmas season.  Here are some of the thoughts that filled my mind and heart today.
Jesus may have come as a meek and mild baby, but truly He came to ignite a fire that cannot be quenched.
A fire in hearts desiring to know and follow Him.
A purifying fire that cleanses and makes new.
A consuming fire that gives purpose and direction; that removes all dross!

As was said of Aslan in the "Chronicles of Narnia,"  He is good, but He is not safe!  His ways are not our ways, but they are glorious and worth the risk!

We cannot stop at the Babe lying in the manger.  We need the rest of the Good News. 
God came down to redeem us. 
The Baby grew into a man.
That man died on a Cross to save us.
Our Savior then rose from the dead, which demonstrated His victory over death and His power to, indeed, redeem us!

What love!  God left the glories of Heaven, laying aside His robe, "whose train fills the temple", to be tired, hungry, rejected and ridiculed.  All for us! 
So, do not stop at the Christmas story, follow it through to the Easter story!

Focus on the One who loves you with a all consuming love!

No comments:

Post a Comment