Sunday, October 31, 2010

My Passionate God

As I was spending time reading and listening to what Papa had to say to me this morning I received a few treasures for my day and my heart!
All encouraging reminders that I want to share with you.

I am loved by God and that love is the motivating factor in my life.  As I receive His love more fully, I have more to give back to Him and to others.
According to Brennan Manning His love "banishes fear, worry and discouragement", while instilling "boldness, daring and boundless trust."
So true.

While reflecting on His amazing love a thought captured my attention.  My God has emotions.  He doesn't sit on His Throne coolly meting out love.  He loves passionately.  He is fervent in His love.  The Living God is passionate about all He does.

Years ago I spend quite a good length of time in Psalm eighteen.  I even committed it to memory.  This Psalm came to mind as I reflected on my passionate God.
The Psalmist shares how he called to God in the midst of deep distress and was answered.  The writer draws such a powerful picture that I have to share his words.

"In my distress I called upon the LORD and cried to my God for help;
He heard my voice out of His temple, and my cry for help before Him came into His ears."

"THEN the earth shook and quaked; and the foundations of the mountains were trembling and were shaken, because He was angry.  Smoke went up out of His nostrils, and fire from His mouth devoured; coals were kindled by it.
He bowed the heavens also, and came down with thick darkness under His feet.  And He road upon a cherub and flew; and He sped upon the wings of the wind.
He made darkness His hiding place, His canopy around Him, darkness of waters, thick clouds of the skies.
From the brightness before Him passed His thick clouds, hailstones and coals of fire.
The LORD also thundered in the heavens, and the Most High uttered His voice, hailstones and coals of fire."

"He sent from on high, He took me; He drew me out of many waters.  He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from those who hated me, for they were too mighty for me.  They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the LORD was my stay.
He brought me forth also into a broad place; He rescued me, because He delighted in me."

That is just a portion of this Psalm.  Read the complete chapter.  It is filled with powerful pictures of our passionate God!

My LORD has rescued me over and over.  The enemy most times is unseen, but no less real.   How often do we face a challenge, some struggle and then before we know it we are in the midst of  "many waters", just like the psalmist. 
Facing one difficulty we may think that we just might be able to lift ourselves out of it, but when they multiply it becomes too overwhelming.  God does not say to us, "Well, it would have been better if you had brought the original problem to Me, so sit there and stew awhile."
No!  He knows us and He loves us just as we are!  He loves to take care of His children and longs for us to look to Him and call to Him regarding every detail of our lives..

Care to join me in responding with the psalmist?
"I love You, O LORD, my strength.
The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer;
My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge;
My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies."

In the last chapter of Revelation, the last book of the the entire Bible, we are told that those who heed the words of the book, worship God.  How can you help but do so?

Each day I learn something new and all of it is at His direction.  I am learning, albeit slowly, to accept this new twist in our lives.  Mindy expressed concern that Ray has put his life on hold because he just wants to wait out this temporary phase.  I think she is right and have begun to be more proactive in helping my honey to seize the day.
I don't think Ray has been alone in his approach.  Me thinketh that I bought into it too, to some extent.  This attitude can make a person impatient.  Impatient to see it pass.
If it does pass, it will do so slowly. 
There will continue to be progress, but to what extend only the LORD knows.  He could completely heal Him and do it right now.  It seems that He prefers to help us learn a few lessons, which takes time, unfortunately.

I want to help my husband live his life to its fullest.  To do so I need to always examine my heart.  It would be easy to be either holding him back, so I can stay 'in charge' or become impatient because I want to hand over all that comes with that 'charge.' 
What a joy to know that the One who knows my heart will guide me through to victory!  As I abide in Him and His Truth, I can be an encouragemnt to Ray and together we can live this life to the fullest surrounded by His passionate love!

No comments:

Post a Comment