Saturday, October 2, 2010

Yesterday, once again, I had the privilege of spending time with my friends at a drug/alcohol rehab in Waterbury. I have been hanging out there for over nine years and dearly missed my visits this past six months or so. Now that we have a bit of a routine in place and dear friends who like to spend time with my honey, I am back to my old ways!

Prior to my visits Papa usually gives me something to share with the dear ones who have found themselves in such a place. The topic I was given was "Turning it over." Another way to put this would be "Let go and let God."

How do you turn something over to someone you don't know very well? How do you know whether you can trust them or not? I posed these questions to my listeners.
My answer? You can't, not really. It takes faith in the person. Even if the person is God.

We have all formed our view of who God is through our experiences and what others have told us or modeled for us. Much of it is very distorted.

If we want to know a person, we need to spend time with them. It takes developing a relationship. In time their character is revealed.
Papa is all about relationship. He already knows us and longs for us to know Him and to willingly open ourselves up to Him.
As this relationship develops it becomes easier to trust Him.

It has become more and more evident to me that I need to stick closely to Papa. There is too much in me and the world to trip me up!
A verse in John's first epistle underscored this fact for me.
"For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world."
Once we are walking with the LORD our pride can easily trip us up!
"Oh, how spiritual I am! "How very strong I am!" We can feel as if we have "arrived." All lies, but so easy to get drawn into. We want others' approval; we want recognition. All things that do not last.
In my journal I noted that it is essential that I remember that I am human and thus fallible. I need to keep the One who is God in focus. For the minute that I am feeling superior or independent I am on the way down for a fall!

In His Word there are numerous directions as to what it takes to stay close to Him and walking a life of victory instead of defeat. Seeking Him in prayer and in His Word are keys to such a life. We are also strongly encouraged to hang out, not only with Him, but with each other.

I am of the opinion that His church is not a building, nor is it necessarily in a particular place. It is where His people are gathered. It only takes two or more.
The first century church met in different homes to share meals and share what their God was doing and teaching them. It is on my heart to start doing that.
Brennan Manning calls it "table fellowship." It's hospitality at its best.
Many years ago I read a book by Karen Burton Mains entitled "Open Heart, Open Home." She compared entertaining with hospitality. Entertaining is just what it is. We run ourselves ragged to 'entertain' our guests. While hospitality is saying "pull up a chair and join my life." I have chosen the latter for years.

At this point I want to become more deliberate in being hospitable. I want to start with just once a month opening our home for a meal to whomever would like to come. It will be potluck. (I love surprises!)
So to all who are reading this and live within driving distance come on over at five o'clock on October tenth! If you feel uncomfortable just 'popping in' you can email me at giraffelady1@charter.net. To those who live further, stop in anytime that you are passing through the area! Yes, pull up a chair and join our life!

No comments:

Post a Comment