Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The phone rang this morning and it was a wrong number, kind of...It was a precious lady whom I have not had the opportunity to speak with in a number of years. She mis-dialed and got me. What a gift! We both love Papa and so our conversation was so very sweet.


Part of what we spoke about had to do with the heaviness that seems to be filling our world. So much sadness, so much pain; all too much.

My husband, whose progress is harder to measure these days; of course, my beloved niece, along with so many others were mentioned. My friend shared the heartache of a mutual friend who sees her four young adult children making disasterous choices.

I didn't say anything about the man who died yesterday morning. I didn't know him and barely know his sister, yet as soon as she called Sunday night with the prayer request my heart became heavy. He had an accident with his motorcycle. A good man, well respected and loved. It makes no difference. Life and death happen as it will.


So, you ask, "I thought you said your conversation was sweet! It doesn't sound too sweet!"

Oh, but it was! Simply because we did not stay focused on all the sadness and pain, but turned our thoughts to Him.

As we get to know Him, we learn that He is good and we can trust Him no matter what!


One of my favorite books in the Bible is second Peter. First Peter is right up there too! Recently Peter's second epistle keeps being brought to my attention.
I remember teaching my sons from the first chapter of this book when they were young children.

The first four verses remind us of all that our God has done for us and what He has in store for us in the future. Grace and peace are ours in abundance by knowing Him. By "His divine power He has granted us everything pertaining to life and godliness," again through knowing Him.
"He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises."
Why?
"In order that by them you might become partakers of the divine nature(!)"
Isn't that amazing!! He wants us to know Him that well!

The following verses speak of a number of qualities of character that we are to be developing as a response to all He has and is doing for us. As my sons and I studied these qualities we drew a picture of a strong man. Each part of him was made up of one of the qualities.
The qualities are diligence, faith, moral excellence, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness and love. His foundation was knowing God.
The foundation is always the critical piece. Solid foundation and the building will stand. Our lives will stand no matter what assails them, if our foundation is the One who wields the Divine Power!

What can be sweeter than knowing Him and partaking of all He offers. Nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment