Monday, September 6, 2010

Know what I got out of Jonah today?
Even when, at times, I seem to forget my God, He never forgets me! His eyes are on me and He waits to hear my voice calling out to Him. Such a comfort and gift!

Over the past week or two I have been working on a Bible study for one of the groups I am part of; it meets in my home on Tuesday evenings and joy of joys except for me there is no one over the age of twenty-six! I love young people!
Yes, I am still involved with some of my groups, contrary to any impression I have given as of late! We have had to cancel a number of times because of the grand adventure I and my family are on, but it looks like we are on for tomorrow evening!

Erwin Raphael McManus wrote a book entitled "Wide Awake" and we are using this, along with an accompanying DVD, as a springboard for our discussions.
As I prepare for any group that I might be facilitating, there are always lessons for me. Really how can anyone teach or share what they haven't learned themselves. To simply parrot the material we have read would come across as hollow.

The lesson for me was very obvious in this week's material. The chapter speaks about being flexible!. Imagine that!!
Evidence of flexiblity is seen when we are open to change, willing to adapt and when necessary be redefined.

Papa had my attention!

Grace changes people. First we need to receive it for ourselves and then we are able to extend it to others.
Grace; unmerited favor. It surprises us or at least it should. Favor that we did not earn, could not earn. Often what we should receive is just the opposite.
If we choose not to accept this gift of grace, we risk becoming bitter.
In the twelfth chapter of Hebrews, the fifteenth verse, we read, "See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled...."
So the choice is grace or bittterness...hmmm, such a difficult choice!

Today it seems that everything that has come my way has fed into this message. Brennan Manning put in his two cents, as well as a commentator from "A Slice of Infinity". Papa wanted to underscore His message to me to be sure that I got it!

It really comes down to making room for God to work as He sees fit. This life is not a route to a destination, but rather a growing discovery of the One who is the Way. In Him we come to see more clearly God and His Kingdom right here and now. The discovery is not a one time thing, but one that grows and deepens if we keep seeking. In that sense it truly is an adventure.

I am so very grateful to my God, who by His grace, constantly leads me along this adventure of discovery and when I am too weary to go on carries me for awhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment