Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Every evening before we settle down to sleep I read to Ray from the little devotional, "Our Daily Bread." I have been using these booklets for over thirty years. They were instrumental in drawing me into a relationship with Jesus all those years ago.
Ray appreciates them also, so before we pray together, we read.

Last night's scripture reading was in the seventh chapter of Matthew where Jesus speaks about the difference between heeding His words or ignoring them. Heed them and your life is build on a rock (Jesus Himself) and the foundation will stand so that you will withstand all that life brings your way.
Ignore His words, rejecting them for your own way and you find yourself on shifting sand that will give way in the storms of life.
It struck me that our life is demonstrating the value of being on that Rock! We may get tired and even a little discouraged at times, but it's temporary. He holds onto to us!
Sadly some that are near and dear to me are on that shifting sand and their lives are falling apart. It breaks my heart.
Now when I say falling apart I am not referring to circumstances. If I was, then we would have to say that the Reynolds' lives are in that catagory too.
No, it is particularly a spiritual thing. The joy and peace that we have is because of our foundation. The LORD Jesus Christ never leaves or forsakes His own and we know it. We are experiencing it! Such a gift! Such a privilege!

Yes, the emotions are all over the place, but He holds us through all of it.
This morning I opened my Bible and two small cards fell onto my lap. One held a picture of my niece, Sara, with a poem below the photo.
My first thought reflected what one of my sisters had told me just yesterday. "It is odd to see her face there. It does not feel right!"
The poem was no comfort. It spoke of her being in the wind, snow, ripening grain, etc.
Baloney!
And even if she was, she is still beyond our reach.
The second card that still lay on my lap brought the comfort back to me.

"Blessed be the God and Father of our LORD Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead..." Peter wrote that in the first chapter of his first epistle.

Through Jesus we have a living hope! Now that it a rock I can stand on and hang onto no matter what storm comes my way!!

No comments:

Post a Comment