Thursday, January 10, 2013

Oneness

Today was such a lovely day.  Papa blessed my birthday from beginning to end.  He is so gracious!
I think I will close the day by sharing my thoughts regarding The Second Day's gifts.

Many have a tendency to view Ephesians 5:25-32 as a lifeless passage that draws a picture impossible to copy, not unlike many other passages; something totally unrealistic.
Not true.
At least, not true if we are sticking close to the One who sets the example!

Having said that I want to turn to what really stood out for me.
What caused my heart to leap with joy?
As much as the thought of my husband loving me as God's Word describes certainly is very attractive, but there is something that much more arresting for me-Christ's love, which is the basis of the verses.
"Husbands love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her; that He might sanctify her by the washing of water with the word, that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she should be holy and blameless.  So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies.  He who loves his own wife loves himself; for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ also does the church, because we are members of His body.  For this cause a man shall leave his father and mother, and shall cleave to his wire; and the two shall become one flesh.  This mystery is great; but I am speaking with reference to Christ and the church."
How does He love me (us)?
With tenderness.

As I read that He sanctifies us by the washing of water, I saw His hands holding His beloved tenderly and lovingly.  Similar to how tenderly a parent holds a small baby, as they bathe it.
No roughness there.

To present us without spot or wrinkle entails much gentleness and care; mishandling would cause bruising!

When the goal is for one to be holy and blameless it is imperative that they be surrounded with all that is pure and clean.
To nourish and cherish is to be very careful in what is fed or given for holiness is not just skin deep!

What a lovely way to approach marriage!  And how amazing that the Living God would desire such a connection with each one of us!

The result is a oneness that goes beyond the bond of a husband and wife.
"That they may be one; even as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You, that they also may be in Us; that the world may believe that You did send Me."

No comments:

Post a Comment