Thursday, May 19, 2011

Gratitude List

The heavy heart has a way of taking center stage in a life.  If it is allowed to stay there, all else will grow very dim.  The remedy is to deliberately put it in its place.
For me there are two steps involved:  Talk to Papa and then make a gratitude list.

As I bring my burdens to Him I visualize handing them over, one-by-one.  I thank Him for His willingness, power and ability to handle all of it.
Once I have surrendered it to my God I need to fill the void.  In other words I need to focus my thoughts elsewhere.  Otherwise, I can easily take it all back again!

Here's my list from just one day.  Today.

I am grateful that I woke up this morning...

And that...

my God was there to greet me...give me all His attention...speak with me...listen to me...

I could open His Word...it is truly living...anointed by His Spirit...

I am healthy...as well as my family...

the beauty of creation is mine to enjoy...the chorus of birds greeting the early morning...the beauty of our yard being drawn out by the gifted hand of Matthew, our resident arborist...

I am almost done with spring cleaning :)...

I have a home to clean...

texting allows me to connect with a few of my loved ones more often than we would ever talk on a phone or see one another face-to-face...

Roo, our very affectionate, playful kitten...

a loving family....

sharing my home (and kitchen) with another woman and enjoying it...

a friend, who happens to be a plumber, who blessed us in a big way...

finding a hair stylist who listened to me (!)...

laughter around the dinner table...

the opportunity to address my most recent deep hurt and seeing a door to healing open...(I believe my choosing to be grateful opened the door to this opportunity)

we subscribe to Netflix...
       
tonight I was able to watch a documentary on Fanny Crosby....

I love the words to so many of her hymns.  As I thought of some of them, it occurred to me that I could use the titles to add to my gratitude list!

Blessed Assurance (Jesus is mine!)...
Jesus Loves Even Me...
All the Way my Savior Leads Me...
He Hideth My Soul...
Redeemed (How I love to proclaim it!)...
Saved by Grace...

These truths alone are enough to fill that gratitude list!

No comments:

Post a Comment