Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Need for Rest

At some point in time I heard or read a comment made by someone that I respected.  I have no idea who it was anymore, but their words have resurfaced.

The past few days have been packed-full.
The social scene has been a busy place for this lady.

I am sure that I have shared the fact here that I do not wear well.
Generally, I try to space out all the socializing, but it is that time of year.

Certainly, I couldn't miss the book club's Christmas celebration, nor my church's ladies' Christmas tea.
Unfortunately they were back to back with our annual Christmas party on their heels.

Needless to say, I am spent.

I tried to sleep in yesterday morning, but to no avail. 
Each morning my brain drifts into consciousness about the same time, sans an alarm clock.
My body is accustomed to rising at that point.
No matter what day of the week it is; no matter how much more sleep I could use.

This morning was the day that found all of me succumbing to the need for more sleep.
Thus I slept in today.

I had planned to take it easy this morning and stay home from church.
Good thing because it would have been a mad dash to make it for even part of the service!

As I thought about this, the quote came to mind.
"Sometimes the most spiritual thing we can do is sleep."
Scripture has many references to rest and sleep and encourages us to rest in the LORD.
One that seems to back up the above quote is found in Psalm One Hundred Twenty-Seven, the second verse:
"It is vain for you to rise up early, to retire late, to eat the bread of painful labors; For He gives to His beloved even in his sleep."
The second half of that verse is so very sweet.  How lovely a picture it draws of our Papa tending to us while we sleep!
This reminds me of a parent lovingly looking in on their sleeping child.
Every caring parent desires their children to get proper rest.
Every child who knows they are loved can rest in that love.

For me true rest flows from time with Him, knowing Him and confident in the One I know in part, but Who knows me in full.

My Bible study group is still in the midst of the study on prayer.
Papa has been augmenting the material for me with a few extras.

David Jeremiah's devotional thoughts, a few days ago, revolved around James One, verses nineteen and twenty.  He focused on the part that says,
"Let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak...."
His thoughts were on the importance of really listening to others.
In my journal I wrote,
"Listen with intention."
To not only each other, but to our God.

He pays attention to our words and understands their meaning.
Papa desires for us to listen closely to what He has to say to us too.
When we really listen, we please Him and bless His Heart.
And it will bless us too!

Today I spent some time in the First book of Kings, the Eighth chapter, verses twenty-two through fifty-three.  Solomon had finished building the Temple and this passage is his prayer of dedication to the LORD.

Throughout the prayer words such as; pray, call, supplication, heed, and cry are found.
Papa caused me to reflect on the intent of those words.

They are deliberate actions; they reflect hearts that are focused on God.
Not only speaking and crying out to Him, but eagerly listening for His voice and watching for His Hand.

When we make this our practice, then we can rest in confidence that He is with us and watching over us with care.
Whether we are sleeping or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment