Thursday, June 2, 2011

Powerful Words

Right now I am suppose to be meeting with my book club friends.  Obviously I am not. 
Too tired.
It has been a full week.  The eight hour drive back from West Virginia on Tuesday wore me out a bit. 
Tomorrow morning I need to leave the house by nine o'clock.  I am attending a retreat.  I cannot wait!!  An opportunity to give all my time and attention to my gracious God.  I do not want to be too tired for that!

It is disappointing that I couldn't join the discussion tonight.  I always love to hear fellow readers share their response to the latest book and have the opportunity to share mine.  Often a fresh perspective is very enlightening.
The book raised the question of whether the medical research community has the "right" to use the tissues, tumors, moles, etc. that are removed from us for their research without our express permission.  To be honest the issue doesn't really stir me.
What did grab my attention was the toll that ignorance takes on individuals and society.

The book chronicled the history of Henrietta Lacks' family, as the story of the woman's cancer cells was told.  There were quite a few family members that had health issues which stemmed from in-breeding.  Cousins with cousins, etc.  They did not know any better.
Upon learning that their relative's cells were still alive they thought that meant that the woman herself was still alive and had even been cloned.  It sounded reasonable to them.

As I read the book I found it distressing to realize that there are people in this country who have so little education that they are governed by superstition.  Even those who professed faith in Jesus expressed some fantastical beliefs.
The lack of education was more basic than a formal education.   Common sense was lacking.  Understanding of how to live at the most base level often was missing.  It reminded me of stories I have heard about groups of people who did not have any contact with the "outside" world.
I found it disturbing.

The James Patterson book, "Cross" entertained Ray and I in our travels.  The man can tell a good story.  He knows how to develop his characters.   "The Butcher" was one of the characters.  He was a cold-blooded killer; evil and sadistic.
Not my usual cup of tea.
Though Mr. Patterson's writings were not very graphic, he has a way of drawing a picture that curls your toes!!
If I had been reading it instead of listening to it, I know I would have been slamming the book shut and then timidly reopening it eager to learn the rest of the story!

We began "Oliver Twist" on our return trip.  Ray slept quite a bit, but I was quickly drawn into the story.  Dickens can invoke all kinds of emotions from his readers.
At this point I have about another third to go before I will have listened to the whole book.  It is fourteen Cd's long!
I am loving it.

For a while now I have felt tapped out; a little dry; listless.  It feels like I am just going through the motions of life.  I am hopeful that my focused time with Papa will revive this weary soul.
He has given me reason to be hopeful.  He spoke His Word to my heart.
"Yet those who wait for the LORD will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary."  Isaiah Forty, verse thirty-one.
It won't be the first time that He has renewed me.  I am certain it won't be the last.  Oh the amazing, renewing strength and power that is available through my God for me!

My next posting will report on what Words He speaks to this girl of His. 

No comments:

Post a Comment