Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Under His Wings

The other day I was sharing with my Bible study group how I had been impressed with the truth that God is everywhere.  As I did so, Papa showed me something so amazing.
It is hard to describe. 
I had a strong sense of His Presence hovering around and over us, actually engulfing us.  In my spirit I could see it.  I believe He gave me a vision of sorts.  It was so real and was not meant to mean that He was Present only at that particular moment, but that what He showed me was a reality at all times!
If we remember this during all the times of our lives, it can bring great peace and comfort.  I know it does for me.

Matthew Twenty-four, verse thirty-seven quotes Jesus as saying,
"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her!  How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling."
Such a picture of the heart of God.
He still longs to gather all under His wings, yet, so many still refuse.
Why?
Often it is pride or lies that holds us back.
Some think that they have gone too far and it is too late for them. 
Too far?  What from God??  Never.  Not as long as they still have breath.
Others have believed many untruths about themselves or God.

The theme of this month's study in "Today in the Word," is repentance.  It is a good one.
What does it mean to repent?
To confess and forsake anything that comes between us and God.

Today's lesson quoted John Chrysostom, who was a fourth century bishop.
"All the variety of God's commandments can be reduced to the single principle of repentance...We are not condemned for the multitude of our transgressions, but for our refusal to repent."
It is not a matter of trying to be perfect, but of admitting that we aren't.
Sometimes we try to pretend that all is well and that we do have it all together.  It is an illusion.

This afternoon I read a commentary by Andree` Seu.  She writes for World magazine.  She spoke of how things can appear to be going well and be far from it in reality.  Andree` gave an example.  She had her roof replaced eight years ago.  The roofer, it seems, had not done a good job with the flashing.  As a result, her attic ceiling now is resting on her attic floor.  For most of the past eight years all appeared to be well, but behind the scenes all was not!  She had noticed a bulge, but had dismissed it!
Illusions come in many forms in all areas of life.  Denial can be very comfortable for a time.
I ask Papa to help me see things as they really are.
What helps me the most is remembering that my God is with me, He is in control and that His plan for me is best .

It is also true that when things seem to be bad that may not really be true.  At least, not once it plays itself out.  Papa is always at work and with time will draw the good and the beauty out of any given situation.  I have experienced this over and over.

You see He is for us and if He is for us what does it matter what might come at us? 
We are safe under His wings, if we choose to seek shelter there!

No comments:

Post a Comment