Sunday, June 12, 2011

Loose Ends?

Under my favorites I have the site for the "Astronomy Picture of the Day" saved. 
Every now and then I check to see what the current offering is.  Many wonderful glimpses into our universe have been posted there.
One of the days I visited the site the Aurora Borealis over Norway, in a time exposed video, was waiting for me. 
So lovely...I could have gazed at it all day!

The current photo is of "The Sleeping Beauty Galaxy."  It is believed to be the result of a collision between a small and a large galaxy, which has not settled down yet.
As I looked at the swirling mass I felt drawn into it. 

Locations in outer space or somewhere like Antarctica or the middle of a vast body of water strike me as very lonely places; desolate.  Because of that sense of loneliness I would never want to find myself in such a place.  If I dwell on it, it can stir fear in my heart.
The picture today took me on that line of thought.  I imagined being in the very center of that galaxy, realizing that I was not only alone, but that I was about to cease to exist.
Yet another thought leapt to mind as quickly as the other thoughts had formed in my head. 

In its vastness and seeming loneliness...There is God.
Not only would I not be alone, but because of Him I will never cease to exist!
If I were transported to that galaxy or any other place, I would not be lost to Him.
Isn't this an amazing thought?

Psalm One Hundred Thirty-nine verses seven through ten speak of His Omnipresence.
"Where can I go from Your Spirit?  Or where can I flee from Your Presence?  If I ascend to heaven, You are there; if I make my bed in Sheol (the nether world), behold, You are there.  If I take the wings of the dawn, if I swell in the remotest part of the sea, even there Your hand will lead me, and Your right hand will lay hold of me."
A few people have been coming to my mind and heart.  It is Papa's doing and so I have been talking to Him about my concerns for them.
One who is so burdened to do everything right that she is not finding any pleasure in her life.
Two others, women, one watching her husband suffer, another knowing her husband, not only is suffering, but will not live much longer.
A number of parents needing to learn how to "let go" of their growing children.
Marriages struggling to, not only survive, but flourish.
There are more, but this list will suffice.

Okay, so it is a little more than a "few" people. 
I am learning to not carry the burden beyond the Throne.  When He moves my heart, I pray.

Now the reason that I mentioned my concern is because my true burden is not especially for what is going on in their lives as much as knowing that they are trying to "handle" it all on their own.
When we do that it is like trying to grasp up a million loose ends all at once.  We end up at loose ends.
We can feel very lonely and isolated, adrift.

Life has its ups and downs, its challenges; its joys and sorrows.  None of it can be done well by ourselves.  Imagining that we are in control or can get total control is an illusion. 
Whether it is a struggle or a joy we need Him.  Papa draws out the beauty in all the details of life, good or bad.  Beauty is found in the abundant life that is ours in Jesus.
Without Him one is easily tempted to wonder, at times, "Is this all there is?  Is this really worth it?"

Those loose ends, those cords that seem to be dangling are being held by  loving, tender Hands that are strong, steady and sure. 
So, dear ones, when you are feeling all alone, lost and maybe even barely existing, look To Him.  He is right here!

Psalm One HundredThirty-nine  goes on to say in verses seventeen and eighteen,
"How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!  How vast is the sum of them!  If I should count them, they would outnumber the sand.  When I awake, I am still with You!"
Even beyond time and place
He is Here and He is Able!!

No comments:

Post a Comment