Sunday, April 3, 2011

Kingdoms

It seems that the longer I live the less likely I am to take things for granted. 

As a young person it is not uncommon to be a bit self-absorbed and more inclined to take one's life and all that it contains for granted.  It is also not unusual to give little thought to the privilege of living in the land that you do and of which you are a citizen.  I know I didn't give it much thought.
However, now I give attention to what is happening here and around the world.

Today our pastor spoke about the kingdom of God.  He mentioned quite a few kingdoms that have ruled on this earth, most of which no longer exist.  He reminded us that no kingdom of this earth will last forever.  Power-shifts happen all the time.

Except for the Power of God. 
Nothing compares, nothing lasts and nothing else holds any power in comparison to Him.

It is a comfort to know this.

The other day a friend had sent me an email forward.  Often I do not even open forwards, but when certain people send me something I take note.  The message is usually something of substance.
The subject of this message was regarding how much of what we purchase is "made in China" and how our nation is in great debt to that country.  The writer wanted to encourage the readers to avoid buying products made there.
Neither bit of information took me by surprise, but it did get me thinking...

So when I had to go shopping yesterday I decided to read labels and look for products made in the USA or, at least, somewhere besides China.
I was surprised.  If I wanted birthday candles for Ray's cake, I had no choice. 
In the men's department I finally found something made in Vietnam, as an alternative to its neighbor.  And the towels that I wanted to purchase, I didn't, because there was no choice.
Label after label said the same thing.  Now maybe it is the particular store that I was in, but I doubt it.
One thing is for certain, I will be reading more labels and making a concerted effort to buy wisely.

Yes, there are many things to be aware of and many things to take action regarding, yet it is also wise to keep in mind that all of it will pass away one day.
All of it.
All except for God and His Kingdom.

Life is fleeting.  I cannot believe that I have been on this earth for sixty years already!  You cannot slow life down, nor can you reclaim it.
The world is always changing, there is always turmoil somewhere and often many somewheres.
Battles rage.

It is all temporary.

Without God in the equation it all would have very little meaning.  Empty and hopeless are words that come to mind.
Add God into the mix and the depth, richness and meaning of life are immeasurable. 

A man with a deep, beautiful voice sang a song during morning service today.  By the end many of us were on our feet and applauding. 
We were applauding our God.

I think it sums it all up very nicely.
The song is entitled "It is Finished" and was written by Bill Gaither.

There's a line that is drawn through the ages
On that line stands an old rugged cross
On that cross, a battle is raging
To gain a man's soul or it's loss


On one side, march the forces of evil
All the demons, all the devils of hell
On the other, the angels of glory
And they meet on Golgotha's hill


The earth shakes with the force of the conflict
And the sun refuses to shine
For there hangs God's son, in the balance
And then through the darkness he cries


It is finished, the battle is over
It is finished, there'll be no more war
It is finished, the end of the conflict
It is finished and Jesus is Lord


Yet in my heart, the battle was still raging
Not all prisoners of war had come home                                                       These were battlefields of my own making                                                        I didn't know that the war had been won


Oh, but then I heard the king of the ages
Had fought all the battles for me
And that victory was mine for the claiming
And now praise his name, I am free.





No comments:

Post a Comment