Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The King

It was my turn to lead the Monday night Bible study that I attend.  Our group is using Ann Spangler's guide, "The Names of God."  There are fifty two lessons in the book and we take turns selecting, then preparing and facilitating the discussion of the particular "Name."   Each name reveals another of our God's attributes.  The one I chose for last night was King of Kings.
When I began to prepare the lesson I realized that one of the two passages of scripture that were the focus of the lesson was Matthew, the twenty-first chapter, verses one through nine.  The triumphal entry (Palm Sunday).  How timely!

Sunday evening my family and I attended a play, The Passion of the King in East Hartford.  It is produced by and held at a church and was done exceedingly well.  They have begun to take it 'on the road!'
It worked its way through some of the key promises of God found in the Old Testament, promises that pointed to the Messiah.  Then it moved to the New Testament and the One who fulfilled God's promises, Jesus.
His entry into Jerusalem was beautifully done.  Many held palm branches, which they waved, as they praised and honored The King.
Papa had given me a visual to stir my heart afresh as I put the lesson together!

This King came as a humble servant and even as He was honored on that Palm Sunday, he did not exalt Himself.  He rode in on a donkey.  No charger for Him.
At least not then.
He had set aside the privileges of His Kingdom for a time for the sake of those that He desired to see enter into that Kingdom.
In the second chapter of Philippians we read,
"..Who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.  And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross."
The second passage in our study turned our focus to His full identity as King.  It is found in the book of Revelation, the nineteenth chapter and tells us that He is
"The King of Kings and LORD of Lords!"
One day His reign and rule will be evident to everyone.  Whether they welcome Him or not, He will return.
This time on a white charger!

The passage in Philippians does not end with His sacrifice, but speaks also of His final position.
" Therefore also God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those who are in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is LORD, to the glory of God the Father."

Our study guide urged us to call to mind when we pray to Jesus, "his mastery not only over human beings but over nature, diease, and death itself."  I would add time and circumstances also!

I love movies like "The Three Muskateers."  Swash bucklers!  Men in capes, wearing swords and big boots.  Men of power.  They sweep their capes aside as they do battle.  They lift their feet up onto tables, heavy boots and all.  Confident men!  When I read about King David and his mighty men I always picture these kind of scenes.
That is only a mere shadow of our King!

Most of us have heard that some churches are called "basilicas."  Know what it means?
The Hall of the King.
I love it.
The Hall where the King enters.  The place He calls home and where His rule is supreme.  The place where He is loved and all await His Presence.
I have decided that is what I am going to call our home!  The Basilica!

I want to be found waiting and watching for Him upon His return.  
In the meantime, I am privileged to entertain my King right now, in my heart and my home.  
King Jesus welcome to the Basilica!!    

No comments:

Post a Comment