Saturday, May 22, 2010

This morning found me, joined by my loving brother-in-law, Jeff, and his thoughtful wife, Audrey, visiting a number of convalescent homes from the 'approved by insurance' list in anticipation of Ray's future move. I had been counseled by a nurse to just show up; do not make an appointment, just pop in. This helps you to get a more accurate picture of what goes on. We did just that and found that the first one was terrific. We gave it four stars out of five and withheld the additional star because we can't give anyone a perfect score. Besides we didn't taste the food!
The following two that we visited should be burned down immediately!! Jeff felt like urging the residents to wheel themselves to the curb immediately and take a ride with anyone who stops!
There is one other home that I feel is on par with our first choice, as I visited a friend there not too long ago and was impressed with what I saw. She was very pleased with the care and recommends them highly.
I had passed the list to my pastor, as well as two friends; all of whom have resources that can give some insight into the quality of care a patient receives at the different facilities. Well, as I am the King's daughter and Papa takes care of his girl, He gave me confirmation of our choices this afternoon. My pastor called to tell me what he had learned and it just confirmed what we were thinking!
So we have two solid choices to pass to Ray's case coordinator at Gaylord, which I will do on Monday. All accomplished in one day! Hallelujah!!
We were able to spend the afternoon with Ray, though he probably won't be able to vouch for us. He was sound asleep when we arrived. It seems that he was restless for much of the night and then had a busy morning. Simply being readied for the day is very tiring for him. He also had therapy this morning, so that was enough for him!
He did wake to some degree for a while. For most of this time he wasn't able to focus on much, but he did seem to acknowledge that we were there. The three of us sat with him chatting and joking. Just hearing voices of those who love him and who he loves must be comforting.
The nurse came in to ultra sound his bladder to see if he needed to be catherized again. She told him it would have to wait a bit longer. I am sure he was sorely disappointed!!
Today my Gracious God has been speaking to me about my expectations. For thirty-one years I have seen amazing answers to prayer; some that took years to come and others that happened just about as soon as I said amen! This time around I have been resting in prayer more than going after any particular answer. I do trust Him and know He is in control and this gives me great peace. I know He is faithful and loving and everything that comes from His Hand is good, because it is motivated by who He is.
However, I do believe He has said to me that it is time to become more involved. This morning I was reminded through Andrew Murray's words that prayers of faith are answered, by Brennan Manning that faith is active and by David Jeremiah that I should ask big!
Okay Papa, I am not going to go through the day simply resting but moving forward. You say that You are "able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us." Yes! "to You be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen!!" (Ephesians 3:20-21)

No comments:

Post a Comment