Sunday, May 23, 2010

This journey is often like a rollercoaster ride more than a simple drive down any road. Through all the ups and downs I choose to hang on to my God. I was reading in Philippians 4 this morning and was reminded that I have much to rejoice in. My God is near. I can entrust everything to Him and in exchange He gives me His peace!
Today was one of the "ups". Ray was very much present and aware of his surroundings today. Praise God! This is in such contrast to how he was just yesterday.
I brought push pins so I could put up some of the many cards he has received. It only took me a week and a half to actually remember these pins! Too many details for my poor brain!
When I had arrived in his room, Ray was sleeping, but awoke while I decorated his board. I turned to find him watching me. It is still so strange for Ray to be so quiet. Words, many words are part of the package that makes up my husband. I wonder if he is even filled with all those words now. In a way I hope not. It would make this challenge that much more difficult, I would imagine.
The nurses got him into his wheelchair and we went exploring. Ray and I left the in-patient wing his room is in and stopped for a while in a small lobby just outside that wing. It gave us a view of the Japanese Garden below us.
I ran down the list, as usual, of who asked to be remembered to him along with naming each of our family and friends and how they regularly call, write, text, etc. to check on him. He listened in earnest. After a short bit he lifted his right hand and moved his pointer finger in a circle. He was ready for some new scenery!
We worked our way through both the first and second floors and their respective lobbies, stopping for a little visit at each one.
Earlier it was overcast and chilly, but the sun broke through and that brought the temperature up enough for us to venture out to the garden. Before each relocation Ray would raise and circle his finger to let me know it was time to move on.
I am trying to remember to only ask questions that require a yes or no answer and also to ask just one question at a time!
Our son, Eric, called while we were in the garden and he was able to speak to his father for a minute. Ray tried to hold the phone himself, but his hand did not want to go all the way up to his ear. This is not because it can't, but just that his brain was not relaying that particular message right then.
Shortly after this he wanted to go back to his room. He was uncomfortable; two hours in the chair is about his limit, as he isn't able to shift his weight around to get into a more comfortable position on his own.
One of the highlights of our visit today was his ability to kiss me back and even pucker up to request more! :) I also noticed that he is able to hold his head up on his own. It is still not straight, but it is getting there!
While we were waiting for the nurses to move him back to bed I could see he was feeling a little frustrated. I saw and heard another patient pass by; one who is perpetually grumpy and is always challenging the nurses. I mentioned this to Ray and he gave me a look that seemed to say, "He's not the only one who is grumpy!" I asked him if I was reading him right and he assured me that I was.
I asked him if he'd like me to pray with him and he did, so I did! He also wanted me to read the devotional "Our Daily Bread" to him, along with the designated Scripture. The reading was from 1 Corinthians 2:6-16 and the commentary focused upon the fact that the Bible is more powerful than any of the high tech communications of our day or any other day. We were reminded that it is God speaking to us through His Word. All true and all good stuff. However, verse nine had really spoken to me and I reread it to my dear husband. "But just as it is written, "Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard, and which have not entered the heart of man, all that God has prepared for those who love Him."
What a promise! I told Ray Papa wants us to remember this truth and watch and wait on our God. He is faithful and will fulfill all His Word! Ray nodded! That was the best sign I saw all day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment