Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Up, Up and Away!

I have arrived in Thailand and am settled for a couple of days in the CMA guest house in Bangkok. Hooray! So has much transpired to get me to this place.
Everything has flowed so smoothly overall. I have felt so spoiled. I am spoiled! The LORD reminded me that He is very fond of me. How did He get that message across to me? In so many ways! First and foremost through my time with Him and in reading "Reflections for Ragamuffins". Then, on Saturday, He moved so many of my dear family and friends to write, call or stop in to show support. Ray dedicated the day to helping me with whatever!
Upon arriving at JFK at 6 AM Sunday morning everything went quickly and easily. I even was able to get a seat in an emergency row so I had plenty of leg room!
For the next twenty-four hours, over twenty-one of them being in the air, I read a book (The Barbarian Way), watched three movies, did a number of crosswords, and thoroughly enjoyed my iPod! Thank you, honey! Notice that I did not list sleep in that list, as it only came in brief times now and again.
A lovely young Japanese woman sat next to me, but only spoke Japanese. It is pretty tough on this blogger when she has no one to converse with!
There was a two plus hour layover in Tokyo and I took the opportunity to do a bit of walking. The tailbone was numb!
On the flight from Tokyo to Bangkok I did sleep a bit. At one point when I awoke something out the window caught my eye. It was a bright light that seemed to be heading right for the plane. As I watched it I considered what it was. I figured if it were something actually headed our way, the pilots would be aware of it. It dawned on me that years ago I would have been panicking - afraid of dieing. Now that is not a fear, so I can relax in His arms no matter the situation.
A few minutes later I realized what I was seeing-a light on the tip of the wing!
Once we landed in Bangkok I had to go through immigration and customs. By the time I connected with my friend, Janice, I felt as if I had walked the whole airport. Actually, I think I did!
Today my head is a bit fuzzy, but not too bad. Janice and I had breakfast here at the guest house. We were joined by a number of people who are in fulltime ministry, who are either on holiday or just passing through the area. Two young woman who serve in a MK school in Malaysia, an older couple that travel from place to place and a young family working in a Northeast city in China. He told us the name and said in five minutes we wouldn't remember its name and he was right!
Today I learned how to exchange money, barter in markets, order food in a food court and get a visa for China. Before I picked up my visa I thought how little things cost here, but the visa made up for all the other savings!
The Thai people are warm and welcoming. If they know any English they love to talk with you. In one little shop a man was singing a the hymn "Washed in the Blood" and then was quoting scripture to us. We asked him if he was washing in the blood, but at first all he did was laugh. Finally he explained that he had gone to a mission school as a child, but was not a believer. Even in Thailand there are those who have seemingly heard, yet have not truly heard.
Tomorrow afternoon we take a six hour bus ride to Khon Kaen. Janice lives and works at a Bible school there. We will be there for the duration, except for an overnight on Friday to the border. Which border I have no idea. I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie!
    Great to see your post - I was checking your blog frequently to find out how things are going - it sounds great, and exciting!

    Interesting about the man in the shop, and it made me wonder, what % of native-born Thai (and Chinese, and Cambodians) are Christian? What's it like for converts to Christianity in those countries, in terms of interacting with family, friends, and neighbors - or the governments, actually - who are not Christian?

    I imagine it's a lot more difficult for them than it would be for an American who becomes, say, a Buddhist. Do the missionaries have ways to make that easier for them?

    And one more question: how's the food?

    Keep the blog posts coming, they're a lot of fun and interesting to read (I loved the part about the light on the plane). And I hope you're going to get some sleep!
    Love and prayers,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Debbie!

    So glad you're off to such a good start. All you're missing here is a lot of freezing rain! Jan and I are praying for you every night. Have a splendid trip.
    FYI: On Sunday I encouraged the congregation to read Matthew 5-7 every day or at least once a week all through 2009. Feel free to read along.

    Grace and Peace,

    Dick

    ReplyDelete