Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Few Observations

As I laid in bed the other night hoping to fall back to sleep a number of thoughts were buzzing around in my head. If I didn't have a roommate, who was sleeping very peaceful (reported with envy!), I would have gotten up and posted my thoughts.
I am an observer of people. The peoples of Asia have always held a warm place in my heart. Encounters over the years have drawn a few general observations that have rung true on this trip thus far.
The Japanese are a very polite people, polite, proper and reserved. Everything is to be done with dignity. When we were about to board our plane in Tokyo all the boarding staff stood and bowed in unison before they started to board us. On both flights all the attendants were extremely polite, but very reserved.
In contrast I have found the Thai and Chinese much more welcoming and warm. For all three on the surface all is nice, nice. Yet, any closer look often reveals fear, hopelessness and for many despair.
I wonder what do people see when they observe me?
If the examination comes up with the conclusion that I am a 'nice' person, but nothing richer and deeper is seen then I am missing something. Passion is what is missing. If my relationship with Jesus is not passionate then I am not only cheating myself, but also those whom I encounter. Remember the word 'lukewarm'? That word fits in with the word 'nice' to me.
A relationship with the Living God is to be dynamic. How often have I settled for a distant relationship with Him. Is my God One who is far off; One that I send petitions to from afar? NO! He has called me (us) to an intimate, vibrant relationship.
The God who left the glories of Heaven is a God of Passion. Motivated by a pure love and desire to be in relationship with us He set aside everything to make a way for that to happen.
The relationship is marked by an indwelling of His Holy Spirit! The God of Passion dwells in the believer! Whoa!
Every moment of every day can be a continual exchange with Him. At no time do we need to be on our own. At no time to we have to figure it out for ourselves. He is here with us. Let's engage and stay connected! This is an advenuter with Jesus not for Jesus!
At all times I desire to have Jesus in the forefront, unhindered by my flesh, free to touch lives. There are so many who need to find joy, freedom and hope! I cannot give it to them, but He can! How I want that fragrant aroma to permeate every place I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment