Thursday, January 15, 2009

Servants One and All

I have never been in a place where there is such a spirit of servanthood. In this culture they think as community not as individuals. This means when one acquires something it is to be shared, whether a bag of chips or a motorcycle. Speaking of chips they have the most interesting flavors here. On my bus ride last week they handed out seaweed flavored Lays potato chips!
The past couple of days I have been feeling ill. Nausea being the major player. Beth, who is the director here has insisted that I continue to stay in her's and Janice's home and she has given me her bed. (I had been there the night before due to the snake incident.) Where is she sleeping? On a mat on the floor! I really tried to switch, but she wouldn't hear of it. She explained that in her culture (Philippino) this is what you do and anyway she grew up sleeping on mats. It is a very humbling experience for me.
My friend, Janice, earns about eight thousand dollars a year and that is more than amble in this place. Yet, when you add in travel near and far it adds up. This woman always has her purse open. A student needs medicine? Someone is having a birthday? (Remember birthdays are BIG here!) She and Beth have been feeding me most meals and brush off most of my offers to contribute.
Today I was suppose to travel into the country with Janice to visit an intern, but had to opt out, which was disappointing. However, I am learning afresh that my life is in God's Hands and His plan is best. I may not always understand why, but I can trust Who. That perspective is critical for one who desires to be a servant. I have a lot to learn, but am surrounded by wonderful teachers!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Deb,

    I have enjoyed so much reading your posts - they have moved me and touched me beyond what I can understand. If I knew you would need a mongoose, I would have brought one back from Hawaii when I was there - they were everywhere! I'm sorry I missed wishing you a Happy Birthday - I'm glad the Lord made it extra special. He loves to show us how much He loves us. So I am here shivering and trying not to be jealous. Please give Janice my love...

    ReplyDelete