Sunday, October 28, 2012

Weighty Issues

A conversation that I had with someone near and dear to me has been weighing heavily upon my heart.

The man considers himself an agnostic.  He now rejects the Gospel.  Yes, there most likely is a God, as there seems to be some evidence to confirm this.  However, that God cannot be the One that I follow that allows anyone to go to Hell.

As I thought his words over, with Papa’s guidance, a few thoughts came to mind that I would like to direct to him.

I will be asking him to come to this site to read this entry.  Originally I intended to simply put this in a letter, but felt the Spirit resisting that idea.  It seems He wants it presented here.

My dear one is a moral man.  He knows there is a right and a wrong.  Subsequently, as a father he has dealt out consequences, both positive and negative.  At times he has resisted intervening so that his children could learn from their wrong choices.  It paid off.

If those children had decided to go their own way and not choose to admit their failures, but instead kept on the chosen path, he would have let them.  There would have been great sorrow, but with it the recognition that each one must choose their own path.

Just like God.

It brings to mind the parable of the Prodigal Son.  Oh how the father watched and longed for his son!  And when he caught a glimpse of his boy at a distance, he forsook his dignity, hiked up his robes and ran to meet him!

That father is a picture of our Heavenly Father.

He loves us deeply, more than we can even imagine, and He longs for us to love Him too. 

Love isn’t love unless it is given willingly.  That is why He did not make puppets.  He is no puppeteer. He calls to us to come to Him.
“ My Beloved responded and said to me, ‘Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, and come along.’”*
Something else occurs to me.  He is the Source of all moral sense of right and wrong.  If there were not a Source, then how could there be such a thing as morals?  Where would it come from?  Who would set the standard?

Another thought that came to me is who are we, fallible and imperfect as we are, to judge the Supreme Almighty God?  If we could understand all His ways, He wouldn’t be God. 
He has said,
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,” declares the Lord.
 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways
And My thoughts than your thoughts.”**
It is to this One, whose love I continually enjoy, who is utterly trustworthy, that I entrust my dear one.

*   Song of Solomon 2:10
** Isaiah 55:8

No comments:

Post a Comment