Thursday, October 4, 2012

For His Glory

Earlier today I was wondering how I could find time to do a little writing.
It is my goal to do so for two hours each weekday, but somehow keep falling short of  it.

Well, my schedule altered come late morning.
Just before I was to head out I decided to carry the recycling down via our back porch stairs.  The stairs are wooden, of course.  I was wearing my comfy, old sandals, which I would shortly be exchanging for my going out into public sandals.
The comfy ones have very little tread left on their soles.
It had been raining.
Know where this is going?

Yes, about halfway down my feet flew out from under me and I body surfed the rest of the way down.
I laid there a moment assessing any injuries and was greatly relieved that I had no broken bones.
Praise You, Papa!!

The bump that was rising on my thigh was a small price to pay!

Needless to say, I decided it was wiser to stay home and pack my body in ice for a while...
Which accounts for my finding time to write.

Before showing up at this site, I went to something that I am working on, which needs to be my top priority.  I am preparing a talk that I will be giving this December and a devotional booklet, which I hope to be able to offer to my audience.
Papa had gotten me started on the devotional a while ago, even before I was invited to speak.  When I was asked, I knew that it was from the LORD, because He had already given me the material..

The problem is that, now that I have a deadline, I am having trouble focusing on it!  Do you know why?  Because I work best under pressure!
What is difficult about that fact is that I have a tendency to make myself just a little crazy in the process!

So I will share what is on my heart for this posting and then attempt to get myself to settle down with the other.

I was chewing on the first seven verses of Genesis Eleven this morning, which is the telling of how the people of the earth came to speak more than one language.

The people had decided to stick close together and said to one another....
"Come, let us build for ourselves a city, and a tower whose top will reach into heaven, and let us make for ourselves a name; lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth."
The LORD God was not pleased.

This is what He had to say...
"Behold, they are one people, and they all have the same language.  And this is what they began to do, and now nothing which they purpose to do will be impossible for them."

They would feel invincible and not see their need for God.
The Creator knows what is best for us and doesn't want us to settle for less.

Besides, their decision to stick together disobeyed His instructions.  Two chapters earlier He had told Noah and his family that His desire was for the whole earth to be populated.  That meant spreading out, not sticking together.

Here is what the Spirit spoke to me:

1 - The LORD has called us to go to the ends of the earth to proclaim His Good News.  We are to go out beyond the walls of our churches to do so.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

Sounds like a big job, but we have a big God, who promises to not only be with us, but to give us the Words and the power needed to do what He has called us to do!
One of my life verses assures us that He will indeed do it.  It is found at the end of  First Thessalonians,
"Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass."

2 - God desires unity among His children, but it is to reflect His glory, not their own and cause our world's attention to be drawn to Him.
"...that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You, that they also may be in Us; that the world may believe that You did send Me."

If we abide in Him, then we won't lose sight of who should be getting the glory!

Let's give Him all the glory.
The world is watching.

Thank You Papa that we can bring you glory every moment of our every day.  Even when we find ourselves laying at the bottom of a set of stairs!





No comments:

Post a Comment