Saturday, October 6, 2012

Thoughts

Our weekend plans dramatically changed from what we thought we would be doing.
The plan was to spend time with family around a campfire for a few days, but Papa had another plan.
If I had paid closer attention I would have known this sooner than later.

Nothing flowed, but I pressed on; then people began to get sick and we realized that it just was not going to work.  This means that I am now left with quite a bit of food which we don't normally eat!  Fortunately, for our Timothy, he does and is glad to help us out!

So after a morning of leisure with Jesus, I made a list of what I thought I should do with the rest of the day.
One of the items was to write a letter to one of the inmates that I correspond with regularly.
His letter had been sitting on my desk as a reminder of my need to send a response.

This particular man struggles greatly with anger issues.
He thinks he is trusting in His Savior, but often is deceived.

Papa has been stirring me to reflect on the importance of one's thought life.
Always a good reminder.

I shared with my friend what I have been hearing from our God.
The key is two fold:  Be in God's Word and converse with Him about what He reveals to you.

Scripture is filled with examples of His children remembering Who He is and His faithfulness in the face of trials and temptations.
""We have thought on Your loving kindness, O God, in the midst of Your temple."*
"I remember the days of old; I meditate on all Your doings;  I muse on the work of Your hands."**
"Why are you in despair, O my soul?  And why have you become disturbed within me?  Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance, and my God."*** 

Romans Twelve, verse Two reminds us of the benefit of renewing our minds.
""And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect." 
And the wonderful verse found in Philippians Four tells us what we should fill our mind with,
""Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things."
Temptations will come, but according to the Tenth chapter of First Corinthians, God will provide a way of escape.  Every time!
I believe the battle is in our minds.

This is what I heard from Papa:
"Temptations are an opportunity to go deeper and higher in our commitment, identity and relationship with the Living God."

We will not rise above our thoughts.  So let's fill them with theTruth!
Use the tools He has given us -  the Spirit and His Word!

*    Psalm 48:9
**  Psalm 143:4-5
*** Psalm 42:11

No comments:

Post a Comment