Thursday, May 3, 2012

Prayer

Today was the National Day of Prayer and I believe it is important to participate.
Noon is the designated time to gather with others to pray.

Unfortunately, I had a prior commitment. 

It is not unusual to find that I have double booked myself.
Not unusual at all.

I felt it was important to keep my appointment, so what to do?
A solution came to mind. 
Pray with the West Coast.
And I did.

Prayer is not to be taken lightly.
It is where the real battles take place and are won.

My heart has been heavy for this nation and its people, actually, for the entire world.
The nations are so far from what Papa intends them to be.
People are so deceived; so lost.

What is the solution?
The Living God.

He is and has the answers.
In His economy prayer is the weapon that will bring the answers.

This week I have been marveling over the privilege of prayer and the difference it can make in our lives and in our world.

Prayer coupled with Scripture is a dynamic duo!

God keeps His Word, so when we claim it in prayer, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, we can be sure we are praying His will.

Each year I sit with my Bible and seek the Holy Spirit's guidance as to how I should focus my prayers for my sons.   He brings to mind the issues and concerns and then ties Scripture to them.

The other night Matthew and I met for dinner. 
It is such a joy to have some one-on-one time with my guys.
During our conversation Matt told me that he is working to strengthen his relationship with each of his brothers and it is happening.  Just the previous weekend he and two of his brothers went backpacking for the weekend.

Papa had given me Psalm One Hundred Thirty-Three to pray for Matt.  The first verse reads like this,
"Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brothers to dwell together in unity!"
That is just one example some might say.
Well, I could write for quite a long time testifying to God's faithfulness to His Word.

Many did not expect much in the way of my sons' futures.
Papa knew better and I trusted Him.

I came across a verse I had claimed in the year Nineteen Eighty-Five, and then reclaimed for Tim in Eighty-Eight.
It is found in the Twenty-Second Chapter of Proverbs, the Twenty-ninth verse,
"Do you see a man skilled in his work?  He will stand before kings.  He will not stand before obscure men."
 I took that to describe a man who excels at what he does and asked Papa for each of my sons to be such a man.

And He has answered.
Each one stands out in his field.
Not that they are famous, which is unimportant, but they are respected and truly skilled at what they do.

I am so grateful to my God. 
He is a gracious God.

As I reflect on how He has answered innumerable prayers in my life I grow hopeful for the future.
I have hope for each individual, family and nation because I know the One Who I have placed my hope in.
He does not disappoint!

I was reading the Eleventh Chapter of Numbers the other morning.  At the end of the chapter the Levites' role was described.  The beginning of the Fifty-Third verse captured my imagination.
"But the Levites shall camp around the tabernacle of the testimony...."
They were to be the buffer between the Presence of the LORD and the people.

The picture that came to mind with those few words was one colored by the New Covenant, which Jesus ushered in.
A picture of joy and privilege.

We have the privilege of dwelling in our God's Presence!
Where we can approach Him at all times.

I do not want to neglect this privilege, nor take it for granted.

There are battles to enter and win!
And there are gifts that Papa has waiting for us to claim!

"One thing I have asked from the LORD, that I shall seek; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD and to meditate in His temple.  For in the day of trouble He will conceal me in His tabernacle; in the secret place of His tent He will hide me; He will lift me up on a rock.  And now my head will be lifted up above  my enemies around me; and I will offer in His tent sacrifices with shouts of joy; I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the LORD."




No comments:

Post a Comment