Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Corralled Thoughts

Quite a few years ago I heard a teaching on the Fourth Chapter of Philippians, the Eighth verse,
"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things."
The speaker's topic was our thought life and she encouraged us to use each part of the above verse as if it were a piece of fence that made up a corral for our minds.
Being one who thinks in pictures, I liked it.

I have asked the Holy Spirit to get my attention whenever a piece of that corral comes down.  He is very faithful to do so.

Quite often I don't get past the first fence piece, whatever is true.  How easy it is to spend time thinking on things that are not a reality.  They may happen or not, but Jesus told us that today has enough trouble, so don't go borrowing from tomorrow!

Today I want to dwell on things that fit well into the Philippians corral.
It is a joy to do so.
And doing so just lends itself to praising Papa!

On Sunday three of my four guys came with their ladies to celebrate mothers' day a week early, as I will be away next week.

Having my loved ones around me is one of my favorite things.
Listening to their banter makes me smile.
They had all spent Saturday evening together playing in Matt and Mindy's yard.
More smiling.

We discussed the previous day's time at the Connecticut tree competition (where Matt took the championship!). 
As I sat listening I reflected back over how gracious and faithful my God is to this family.

My youngest, no longer strung out, is strong and active, living a full life.
That alone is cause for great celebration.
I spend much time with those in or in need of recovery and know how few make it.
God is the deciding fact.

When I finish this posting I will be getting into Pearly and  making my way to West Virginia with an overnight stop in Pennsylvania where I get to visit a very dear, long-time friend.

In West Virginia, after a visit with my great grandbaby and her momma, I will pick up my grandson, Levi, and we will make our way to Missouri to check out a college.

How grateful I am that I am able to do this with him and that he is equally grateful for my assistance.
What a joy to have this time with him!

Upon our return to West Virginia I will get to see Eric and Amy in their new home.

My honey has chosen to stay home and tend to our mischievous kitties.
People have stepped forward to ensure that he gets to his classes at the gym each week day.

So much to be grateful for!

And as we stop to express that gratitude to the One whose Hand is on all of it the pieces that make up that corral are set more firmly in place!





No comments:

Post a Comment