Monday, January 9, 2012

Walking with Papa

"I come to the garden alone
      While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
      The Son of God discloses"
"He speaks, and the sound of His voice
      Is so sweet the birds hush their singing,
And the melody that He gave to me
      Within my heart is ringing."
"I'd stay in the garden with Him
      Though the night around me be falling,
But He bids me go; through the voice of woe
      His voice to me is calling."
"And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
      And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there.
      None other has ever known."
C Austin Miles wrote that hymn in Nineteen Hundred and Thirteen.

When I first encountered this song, as a brand new friend of Jesus, I wanted to say amen at the end of each line! 
The picture that was drawn by the words was one that was very real to me. 
I had begun to experience just such an intimate relationship with the One it spoke of.

Communion with the Living God is one filled with beauty and fragrance.
When He speaks all fall silent in a desire to both honor Him and savor the sound of His voice and the meaning of His words.

It is a privilege for anyone to hear Him speak.

With His words He loves to assure our hearts of His love and Presence.

Today I was feeling just a touch overwhelmed.
I had awoken at five in the morning and there was no going back to sleep though I could have used another hour or so.

Yesterday was full and though it was filled with my sweet family, as they had gathered to help me celebrate my birthday, I did not get much rest.   Because of every one's schedule I had to drive to Bridgeport to pick up our Jon and then return him there so he could catch the ferry home.  It was either that or one more son would have been missing.  It is enough that our oldest is too far away to make a day trip.  I wasn't about to miss out on seeing this one too!

Feeling flustered as I  prepared for this day, which promised to be busy, I couldn't seem to get out of my own way.
Opening the jar of homemade jam, the lid separated and the flat center flipped over to slide a smear of jam across the counter...
Being distracted I forgot the bowl of farina I was cooking in the microwave, thus it exploded all over the interior....
Pouring milk on Ray's bowl of cold cereal, the milk hit a bran flake and splatted onto the floor....
WHAT??!!

I was about to voice my certainty that this was not going to be a very good day, but recalled in time my own rule about setting myself up that way!

Instead of making the bed I just wanted to crawl back into it!

As I stood looking into my closet, not even feeling up to making a decision about what to wear, I heard His voice.
"Trust Me."
Just two words, but behind them was the assurance of His Presence.
He would be walking with me through my day.

Papa is such a comfort. 
I relaxed a little.

I dropped my husband off at the gym and proceeded to the store to begin my weekly errands.
I forgot my list.
Sigh.

After recalling and purchasing most of what I needed from this particular store I headed home.
I needed the list.
My memory is not that good!
This was not in the original plan for the day.

As I drove I once again heard the same two words.
"Trust Me."
Returning home meant that I would be doing my route in reverse.
It also meant that I did not get to everything on the list before I had to pick my honey up and get him to his doctor's appointment.

I figured that he would have to tag along after we finished at the doctor's, so I could complete my errands.

I figured wrong.

From the doctor's office we had to head to the hospital for blood work and an emergency MRI.

Ray's left foot is having circulation problems. 
His toes were blue.
Not good.

But very good that we were at the doctor's.
And very good that tests could be done this very day to help find the cause.

Papa knew.

We got home shortly before supper time.
No more errands were done this day.

As I look back, I realize that all the essentials got taken care of today.
One of the most essential was caring for my man.
Papa took care of that.

What tops the list of essentials though is that walk with Papa.
A walk that fills one's very soul will the sweetest fragrance...

Excuse me while I go take one of those walks....
Papa is waiting......





No comments:

Post a Comment