Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Breathing Deeply

Making the choice to attend that Bible study last night was a very good one.  I got my perspective tweaked.  You see I was reminded of Who my God is and that is always a blessing!

We spent our time digging into the first twelve verses of the first chapter of the gospel of John.  John loves Jesus and his writing's aim is to "draw us into the quiet cathedral, where we are called upon to meditate upon the deep things of the Eternal Son of God-the Word made flesh (!)", to quote the introduction to the book found in the "Open Bible".
And draw us in, it did!

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
All things came into being by Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being."

My God is the Creator God!  The Pre-existent One! 

"In Him was life, and the life was the light of men."

My God is Life and Light for me!

In the next verses we learn that many did not receive Him.  Even when John the Baptist testified of Him, many chose to reject Him.
Then came a wonderful word - the word "but".
"But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His Name."
God pays attention.  He is seeking those who seek Him.  He is eager to bless with the greatest blessing - adoption into His eternal family!

Papa drew my attention to the phrase "believe in His Name."  A friend at the study had made a comment about the importance of believing.  Another commented on God's numerous "Names."  Papa tied these thoughts together for me.
The Name of God is not singular just like God Himself is not singular, but a trinity.  The phrase "the Name of God" is heavy; it is full and rich; it encompasses all He is.  More than we can know.

In scripture we read encouragements to grow in our faith, to believe more deeply.  I received this thought-picture- When I met Jesus, I fell in love with Him, but I didn't know Him fully.  I just had a small slice of the full picture of Who He is.  Over the past thirty-odd years I have grown in my faith, I have believed more deeply.  Why?  Because I have learned more of His Name(s).
I have experienced Him as:

Savior
Redeemer
LORD
Friend
Rock
Shield
Protector
Guide
Strength
Holy One
Gracious
Kind
Father
Faithful
To name a few....

Now He has called me to experience all of these and more in a deeper way.
I realize that I have been feeling undone.  He is teaching me to trust Him more fully, to know Him more intimately.  This will reveal His Name more clearly to me and thus enlarge my belief in Him.
The Pharisee in me wanted to believe I had arrived that I could sit in the role of teacher without having to learn any more lessons.  God in His grace will not allow this disception.  He loves me too much.
"I am glad," she said reluctantly.
Yes, I am glad!

This morning I continued in the sixth and on into the seventh chapter of the second book of Kings and was encouraged that "it is not over until it is over. God is at work no matter how it looks!"  (To quote from my journal.)  The Samaritans were seemingly trapped in their city with no food, simply waiting to die.  The enemy was encamped outside with no route of escape available.  The situation appeared hopeless, but only because they had left God out of the equation!  He intervened and replaced their emptiness with plenty from the enemies stores.

I do not know what the outcome of this disability saga will be or any other part of this path I find myself on.  What I do know is that my Heavenly Father, Who is with me (!) is at work. 
In Him I chose to believe and find rest and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment