Sunday, March 3, 2013

A Unique Walk

There is nothing like a spoonful of peanut butter straight from the jar.
That is one of the pleasures that one can enjoy once the children are grown and gone.
Since I didn't allow them the privilege I refrained from indulging while they were sharing this house.
However, now there are no such restrictions!

It is not unusual to find me zoning by via a little movie watching.  (Possible with a jar in hand).
There are times when my brain must get a rest from all that generally occupies it.
It needs some a-musement.
A means no and muse means think.  So amuse is to not think.

I use to think that was a bad thing.

I am enjoying the series, Parenthood, while I get my exercise via my treadmill. 
(Part of the show's attraction is how similar the family's interaction is to that of my sisters and mine.)
It is one of the distractions that keep me going for the full hour.

This is not a confession of my humanity, it is a declaration!

Quite often Papa brings someone new into my life, whether an author or teacher or a new acquaintance or friend.
Everyone of them has something that I can glean from them.
And when it is someone that I connect with on a personal level, I hope they gain as well.

I know I have shared how Papa has revealed to me that He has treasures for me to gather along life's path.
Well, I have been thinking of that with a a fresh slant lately.
In particularly where it applies to the influence of other Christians I encounter.

Often, teachers, in particular, have a specific focus to their teaching.
Whether it be humility, joy, holiness or countless other topics; there often seems to be a underlying focus.

A good teacher makes a personal application, which helps to reinforce the lesson for the hearers.
As we take it in we need to be looking for what Papa would have us glean from it.  
For ourselves.
We need to allow the Holy Spirit, not the teacher, to make the application to our own lives.
What treasure are we to gather to ourselves?

Then there are those that are not positioned as teachers in our lives, but just fellow pilgrims.
There should be a mutual sharing of how we are working out our salvation, but also an understanding that it will translate differently into each unique life.

Everything must be measured by the Word and taught to our hearts directly by the Holy Spirit.

Last week I heard a preacher, who had many good things to say, which I received.  Yet, there was something amiss.  I still cannot put my finger on it, but know that the Spirit had put a caution on my heart.
That is enough for me.  I will not be receiving from this person in the future.

Sometimes I am so drawn in by what I encounter that I begin to put pressure on myself to emulate the messenger.  
What I sense Papa telling me is that I should rely upon Him to shape me into all He intends.  Gather the treasures He reveals to me and be the me He loves.  He made each of us unique.

Everyone has their opinions over the smallest things.  And many like to express them.
Eating out of a jar?  No, no, no!  Unsanitary is what I have been told.
Maybe, but I do not care.
My kitchen.  My jar.  :)

Then there are the subjects that are very personal to us.
 What activities are right for me?  What does a walk with Jesus look like?
Remember WWJD? (What would Jesus do?)

Some of that is black and white and thus it is clear as to what does and what doesn't meet the criteria.
However, much is very particular to an individual.

Some would say that any movie or television show that is not overtly Christian is wrong.
Others set no standard.
Extremes.

I believe the answer is a close walk with Jesus.
He promised to send the Helper, the Holy Spirit and He did.
His Spirit is the One who will lead us every step of the way on that Highway of Holiness that He calls us to walk.
"And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not behold Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you, and will be in you."  John 14:16-17

Papa loves His children and He knows we need rest and recreation, to relax our minds and bodies.
As children we need to play.
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

"But Jesus called for them, saying, "Permit the children to come to Me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these."  Luke 18:16








No comments:

Post a Comment