Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Anointed

Today I am pondering what it means to be part of the body of Christ.

He has called us to be one with Him.  The Spirit of our Savior dwells within those who are His.  That means that the Spirit will direct us to become more like Him.

Who is this One that we are to become like?

Christ means “anointed one”.

He was anointed as a prophet, priest and king, as were those who held those roles in the Old Testament.  Theirs, however, were temporary, while His are eternal. 

As His child I , too, am anointed.

Today in the Word, a devotional by Moody Institute, spoke about anointing the other day,
“Approved in 1563, The Heidelberg Catechism asks those being initiated into the faith, "But why art thou called a Christian?" The catechist answers, "Because I am a member of Christ by faith, and thus am partaker of his anointing." To identify with Christ’s anointing is to agree to be used like His early disciples, as prophetic, priestly, and royal agents in the world today.”
One of my long-time favorite verses is found in the Second chapter, Ninth verse of First Peter,
“But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light..”
I remember reading it out loud to a group of people on a camping trip, as it was my turn to share a spiritual thought.
We all attended the same church.  These people were the teachers and leaders of Bible studies and Sunday school classes.  I was new to the whole thing and thought that everyone else knew and that I just had found out.

After all they were sporting bumper stickers that said, “I found it!”

Well, when I read it, feeling great joy and excitement, I was very surprised that no one else felt the same way.  All just smiled mildly at me and sat politely waiting for me to finish sharing.

When I did finish everyone excitedly said…
“Okay!  Now that we finished that, let’s go hiking!”
Hiking??!! Who cares about hiking??  I wanted to discuss what this meant for us!

That was when I realized that I was seeing an example of what it means to be anointed… or not.

Jesus the Christ goes ahead.  He has blazed the trail for me.  All I need do is follow.

As His anointed one I can be certain that His Spirit will keep me on the path.  A path where I will be able to fulfill my role as His disciple.

Whether it be prophetic; speaking a good word to those who come my way….
Or ministering as His priest to those who need someone to come alongside them….
Or the role of His royal agent where I get to be His herald.

Whatever role, at whatever time, Papa; it is just a joy to be anointed as part of Your body!

No comments:

Post a Comment