Sunday, February 5, 2012

Take a Seat!

The first Sunday of each month is marked by many church families with the celebration of Communion or the LORD'S Supper.
I always look forward to this, as it is a time to stop and remember His great sacrifice and what it means to me.

The Words read by our elder were ones I had heard many, many times before.  Yet, today they took on a a greater emphasis for me....
"and when He (Jesus) had given thanks, He broke it (the bread), and said, 'This is My body, which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.'  In the same way He took the cup also, after supper, saying, 'This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.'" (parentheses added.)
Those Words from the Eleventh chapter of First Corinthians washed over me.  One phrase hung in the air.
"as often as you drink it.." 
As often.....

Ann Yoskamp discusses the meaning of Eucharisteo in her book.
Eucharisteo, the table of thanksgiving.
That is what Jesus instituted at that Last Supper.

As often...

Not just once a month, but every day....
                    Take a seat at the table of thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving for the sacrifice that opened the way to be whole.
Whole with God and thus whole within ourselves.

The subject of recovery is never far from my thoughts. 
I have a few dear friends who are very committed to their own recovery.
Would it be that many more would join the ranks!

What does recovery have to do with what I have been writing about?

Well, let's look at the meaning of the word recovery.
Of course, that means a look into the dictionary.

Recuperation....

Restoration...
The regaining of something lost...
Return to any former and better state or condition....

Many might think of this word in reference to those who struggle with addiction.
So the following is a definition from that angle.

The Betty Ford Clinic defines it as a voluntarily maintained lifestyle composed and characterized by sobriety, personal health, and citizenship.
 
To me recovery is the path of healing, a means to wholeness, which is only found through and in Jesus Christ.
 
Everyone needs to find their way to that path.
 
I have often said that we all have our addictions; it's just that some are not as obvious as others.
We all need healing.
 
Papa is teaching me afresh that to commence our recovery we must first recognize our need for it and then we must take a seat at the beautiful table He has set for us...
Eucharisteo...
 
The more we give thanks, the more we will discover there is to be thankful for.
 
A number of years before I had the privilege of a taste from that table.   I had an experience that, I believe, marked the turning toward that path of healing.
 
On my way home from work I noticed an older woman struggling to carry her bags of groceries.  She was obviously walking home from the store and must have come a considerable distance already.
 
I pulled over and offered her a ride, which she accepted.
We chatted, but I do not recall our words.  I only recall her gratitude and how I felt after the encounter.
 
I felt grateful...
Grateful to have been able to help...
And just plain grateful for what I could not say, but grateful just the same.
 
It is as if an inner eye was turned from a focus on self and all my struggles..
An inner eye that was turned to see others and thus discover my own blessings.
 
There is an open invitation to join Him at His table.
How delighted He is when we take our seat!
 
It is my desire to celebrate Eucharisteo every day.
May I seize every opportunity....
      Lift every cup....
                        In thanksgiving!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment