Friday, August 12, 2011

My Papa

My Bible study group is doing a study by Jim Cymbala. 
Yes, the same Jim Cymbala that I heard in person this past Tuesday.
He is God's man. 
Timothy, the author of two books of the Bible, would call him."a vessel meet for the Master's use". 
I love the sound of that and would love to be described that way.
Time will tell.

Anyway, the assignment for our study, which is entitled, "When God's Spirit Moves", was to read a few very familiar passages of scripture and invite the Holy Spirit to give us fresh teaching. 
What blessing came from it!

We were to read all of Psalm One Hundred Thirty-Nine.
It speaks of how well our God knows us. 

Each verse spoke to me.
He knows me, through and through.
He not only knows my thoughts, but He understands them.  Something that is not always the case for me!
My God knows where I am and what I am doing.  He is with me.
The Message puts it this way,
"I'm an open book to You..."
I was scribbling as fast as I could as the familiar Words spoke afresh to my heart.
Then I came to the fifth verse and I was so overwhelmed that words failed me for a moment.
"You have enclosed me behind and before, and laid Your hand upon me."
He is with me.  This I know.
It is the picture that He brought to my spirit that bowled me over....

I saw myself as a little girl on the side of the road, waiting to cross.   There was a Hand resting on my shoulder, a Father's Hand.  A Hand of protection and guidance.

The image of God as my Father has always stirred my heart. 
I never knew my father.  To be honest, I do not even know for certain who he is.

When I was just beginning my walk with the Almighty, Living God, I came across a verse in Romans, the eighth chapter that said that I can call Him Abba, which means Papa or Daddy!
How my heart rejoiced!!

The Psalm goes on to say that there is no where that we could go that we would not find Him.
Even the remotest place we would discover...
"Even there Your hand will lead me, and Your right hand will lay hold of me."
The picture was complete!  My Papa's hand is on me to direct me on the path He knows is best for me and He won't let go!

The sixth verse says it best.
"Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is too high, I cannot attain to it."

No comments:

Post a Comment