Friday, February 6, 2009

Shining a Little Light on the Subject

Yesterday morning I had the opportunity to take a walk along the beach and get a bit of fresh air. The breeze was coming off the water so it was very pleasant. Otherwise, it would have been exhaust fumes to the max.
The alone time gave me a chance to reflect and much that came across my path directed my thoughts. Song-tows (ow, as in how) passed me at regular intervals. These pick-up trucks with bench seats in their bed and a roof over head are the most common means of transportation for the majority. If I lived here, I would adopt the habit of wearing a surgical mask for the sake of my health!
The rearview mirror in these and every other vehicle serve as shrines to appease the spirits. What seemed so strange at first has become commonplace for me now. Some of these things swaying with the motion of the vehicle are more sinister looking than others. At times I have needed to pray immediately!
Another common sight are the older foreign men with young Thai women. One of these men commented to Sandy recently: "Where else could you go and find someone who would even cut your toe nails?" We'll cut his toe nails for him alright!!
Yesterday one of these couples came onto the song-tow with us. My eyes and the man's met and locked for a moment. Shame came across his features and for the entire ride he kept his eyes on the floor. I prayed that he couldn't shake that feeling and had to do something about it. (Like repent!)
These were my thoughts, at first, as I walked, until I observed three adults with a number of children romping on the beach. My curiosity was aroused when I noticed that the adults were wearing identification tags around their necks. One of the young men came my way with a child in tow. We chatted for a minute and I found out that they were with a Bangkok based Christian organization and were in town for a retreat. This brief exchange took my thoughts down a different track.
Over these past five weeks I have encountered much darkness. Yet, there have been many beacons of the True Light along the way. Just the other day I visited an HIV home and an orphanage. Both run by Christians.
The HIV home can house up to ten people. Some arrive with TB also. Their goal is to make those who come to them comfortable and, hopefully, build up their strength both physically and spiritually. Many come there to die in comfort. The home is run on donations and right now is low on food. They will need to move in two and a half years, as the landlord has other plans for the building.
Though there are many challenges there is Love and Light.
The orphanage takes in children temporarily, as in truth many of the children are not true orphans, but have parents who are in crisis or prison. If the family does not come to a place where reconciliation is possible, then foster homes are sought. The problem is that foster care is not a common occurrence in this part of Thailand. Probably because this is the party capital.
The upside is that this ministry has strong support both financially and in the number of volunteers. Children touch many hearts. They are loved and nurtured in the LORD. The Light shines brightly here.
I could go on and on with one ministry after another that I have seen or heard about. One woman spends much of her time in the slums ministering to children and their families. Another visits prisons. More Light!
A couple of scriptures come to mind. One speaks of doing whatever your hand finds to do and doing it heartily as unto the LORD. The other speaks of how we are salt and light and need to live accordingly. I have found many examples of both on this side of the world. How I praise His Wonderful Name!

No comments:

Post a Comment