Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Reminiscing

Rumor has it that my grandfather could perform the amazing feat of pulling a tablecloth off a table without disturbing the dishes that were set on it. 
I never saw him do this trick.
He was already ill when I was born and the illness had sapped the strength to walk, let alone to whip tablecloths off tables.
Though I missed out on seeing such a feat I still can picture him doing it.

Grandpa was an amazing man.   He may have died when I was but five years of age, yet he made a lasting impression upon me.
My first childhood memory was of him.
Actually, he filled my earliest memories.

The man had been diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease and had lost much muscle strength, especially in his legs, but that didn't relegate him to the sidelines.
I remember him positioning himself on his knees to chop a tree down.  It seemed huge to me, but I was probably three at the time, so I imagine that it was not massive.  However, it was the determination and the fact that he succeeded that stuck with me.
That and his love for me.

Okay, so what stirred this memory?
Making my bed.

Every morning I make our bed with two sweet kitties lying on it.  It has become a ritual. 
Cats have some very definite routines and they do not like change.

Sushi and Stir-Fry help me to wake Ray and once they have done their part settle themselves in their particular spots.
This morning a thought came to me as I tried to make said bed.  Wouldn't it be handy if I could straighten the coverlet with one quick jerk of my hands without disturbing my furry friends?

One thought often leads to another and thus my thoughts of Grandpa!

Warm feelings and memories always accompany any thought of him.

As much as I love to reminisce, it is much more important to me that every thought I have leads me to thoughts of my LORD.
When my thoughts turn to Him my heart is stirred by how His grace has filled my life.  Talk about warm feelings and memories!
The Eternal One, Almighty, Creator God loves me!
 "This I recall to my mind, therefore I have hope.  The LORD's loving kindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness."  Lamentations 3:21-23
No matter where I turn in Scripture I find evidence of His grace.
And no matter where I look in my life I find that same grace.









No comments:

Post a Comment