Sunday, July 8, 2012

Grateful Giggles

My funny bone is super-sensitive today.
You might say I am feeling slightly giddy.
Giggles keep rising to the surface and bubbling over.
Then I plop down in exhaustion.

The exhaustion is both physical and emotional.

The sun rose on a new day yesterday and I quickly arose to greet both the sun and the day.
It was to be an extra-special day.  More special than I could have imagined!

My friends from the rehab were coming to the church grounds for a men's barbecue being held just for them.
This is the second annual barbecue and it went off without a hitch.
Well, maybe with a hitch or two, but nothing major!

One such hitch involved the canopy that we set up to shelter the family trio called The Ragamuffins. It attempted to move to the church roof a few times with a little help from the gusts of wind that would suddenly come flying by!
I couldn't help but smile when the musicians would stop mid-song to grab a corner of the canopy before it could get away!  I must say they were quick!
After a couple of those interruptions we found a few pegs to hold it down in spite of the wind!


Thanks to a lot of help from my friends we were able to offer haircuts to the guys, as well as a few gently used items of clothing.
That is not all!
Food and beverage were in plenty and thanks to an anonymous donor the main meal included steak, much to  our guests delight.
The goal was for them to realize that they hold as much value as anyone else.
Especially in Papa's sight and we represent Him!

Midway through our time together we had a special speaker.
A very special speaker.
Our son!

Tim spoke from his heart to the group of twenty, mostly young, men.
Every eye was on him the whole time.
Some were not dry.  Mine especially.

There was no doubt Who put the words in his mouth.
It was the One Who rescued him.

I have worked with this segment of society for many years and have never witnessed such a response before!
To a man they were moved and most were eager to respond when given the opportunity to do so.

Is there a greater joy than to have the privilege of seeing the fruit of praying for your child in such great abundance?!

As he shared I was reminded of where he and our family have come from and with it emotions were stirred up.  Tim told me later that he would not have been able to keep it together if he had looked at me.
It was the first time that I have heard him speak, as he had been hesitant knowing I would cry.  :)

I have booked him for all future barbecues!

Papa had a few lessons for me to learn as I observed how my son presented the Good News.  I am glad to accept them and will happily apply them!

Both Tim and I give God all the glory.  Without Him we could do nothing!!

"Enter His gates with thanksgiving, and His courts with praise.  Give thanks to Him; bless His name.  For the LORD is good; His loving-kindness is everlasting, and His faithfulness to all generations."*


*Psalm 100:4-5




No comments:

Post a Comment