Saturday, August 11, 2012

Keep it Fresh!

Here I sit in my car on the ferry, heading to Long Island for a weekend visit with family.
Having been in a bit of a rush I decided to do my Scripture reading on the boat,
so my Bible is open on my lap at the moment.

*This is my first attempt to post to my blog from my iPhone and I am not certain how it will appear, however, I want to share something I just saw on these pages so will give it a go!

I am in Psalm Seventy-eight.
It is a wonderful piece of Scripture!
Nestled in the first section are three verses I claimed a few years ago for my family; verses six through eight.
It includes those not yet born.
 "That the generation to come might know, even the children yet to be born, that they may arise and tell them to their children, that they should put their confidence in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep His commandments, and not be like their fathers, a stubborn and rebellious generation, a generation that did not prepare its heart, and whose spirit was not faithful to God."

Oh Papa!  May every generation of this family have hearts and spirits that seek You!

Okay, that was just a brief side note.
What I really want to share is how the message of this Psalm is the message of Alcoholics Anonymous.

That might surprise many, but it is true.
The Fingerprints of our God are all over the teachings of AA.

So what is this message?
Keep it fresh!
What?
Remember often where God has brought you from and what He has brought you through!

This means we must be active, engaged with this gracious Gos in remembering.
We cannot give the flesh room to start seeking its own desires.
Only He can bring us true satisfaction!

The other part of the message is to pass it on. Share it, proclaim the Good News far and wide to all who will listen!

So much promise is wrapped up in heeding these instructions. Just as consequences await those who don't heed them, as the Psalm goes on to illustrate and as many lives can sadly attest.

Yet, which ever we choose, our God's love is constant and He intends that either good or bad consequences drive us to seek Him wholeheartedly.

I believe that all that comes our way leads us to a choice. To allow it to drive us closer to Him or to become a wedge between us and him.

I choose to keep it fresh and give him the glory, which will happen as I draw nearer to my gracious God!

*As some will notice this is posted over twelve hours later, because I have not quite perfected the technique of posting from said iPhone!  I am also on a relative's very old computer, so I cannot do any fine tuning!

No comments:

Post a Comment