Saturday, June 13, 2020

Feelings

“Feelings...nothing more than feelings.”
That’s the opening line to a song entitled “Feelings” that came out in 1974. 
Yes, I remember 1974. 

The song vaguely speaks of feelings of love, which the singer is trying to forget. 
Whatever the song was trying to say it’s that opening line that came to me the other day. 

I was thinking about feelings, of course!

For many years I thought feelings were nothing more than feelings...but no matter what they were either good or bad. No such thing as being neutral. 
Now I know they are all neutral. 
It is what we do with them that leaves the neutral zone. 

In my family of origin I had been taught that feelings should not be examined, but should be denied. At all costs!
I now know that they are indicators. 
Indicators of what is going on under the surface. 

Some are easy to figure out and take no deep exploration. 
There’s the example of how very much I love my precious, almost elevens month old, grandson, Samuel. 

I truly am in love!
I cannot get enough of him. 
His every action leaves his grandma amazed and enthralled!

Look under the surface and you will find more love. Love to the very core of my being. Pure love. Unconditional love. 

Not all feelings are so uncomplicated. 
Often they reveal things we thought had been put to rest. 
The reality is often there are scars that will never truly disappear. 

Now what got me to thinking about feelings?
Well...feelings had. 
Feelings that arose this past week. 

It was Monday and I was driving back home after a number of hours of doing errands. 
Papa and I were enjoying one another. 
There was some worship music playing that stirred my heart to even greater focus on Him. 
The Joy was truly immeasurable!

As my car rounded a bend in the road I spotted a motorcycle parked on the roadside. 
It was the same type as the one my husband was riding ten years ago when he had his life-altering accident. 
I began to weep. 

It might seem strange that in the midst of such joy tears could come so quickly. 
Honestly, I have come across other like motorcycles before with no reaction. 
So why this time?

I believe it is because my God knew it would deepen our connection even more. I was in such a beautiful place and when the deep grief rose up I was privileged to go into that beauty more fully. 
It seemed to me that Papa was holding me and gently guiding me through the sorrow in a more intimate way. 
Many times I have sought Him in my pain and sorrow, but never from a place of Joy. He has always comforted me, but never have I been so free to receive so fully!

Today I came across a quote from Graham Cooke. 
“ Rejoicing connects us with the joy of the Lord and allows us to become aware of the opportunities that are present.”

Opportunities for great healing? Opportunities for greater comfort? Opportunities for greater intimacy with the Lover of our soul!

The season we all find ourselves is giving us all more opportunities to explore the numerous feelings that arise. 
It is also an opportunity to draw nearer to the amazing, almighty Loving God!
If we do, then when we look back on this season, we will do so with gratitude and joy!

“You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,”
Psalms 30:11 NIV

“You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in Your presence, with eternal pleasures at Your right hand.”
Psalms 16:11 NIV



No comments:

Post a Comment