Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Opportunities

Dear Readers,
The first paragraph of this post from April 7th was inadvertently deleted. However, I decided to repost. May it be a blessing to someone!

I, for one, am choosing to take every opportunity that is afforded me.
These opportunities are meant to help me learn and grow and come out the other side of this crazy time.

I chose the opportunity to have order in my day. I keep to a routine.
And first things first....
Thus....

God first!
Every day we have the opportunity to start afresh with our God.
Like every relationship that we want to see grow, we need to invest time and attention.
No matter what commitments may fill one’s day it is critical to make time to ‘come apart’ so you don’t ‘come apart’!

For me journaling is the first piece.  I dump all my thoughts out and in doing so Papa helps me sort through them. Reading, meditation and prayer follow.
Then I’m ready to go into my day to seize the many opportunities that are mine to pursue.

One opportunity I am taking advantage of is to keep my body moving. This means I practice my yoga on a daily basis and get as many walks in a week as possible.

Today I took two walks.
The first walk was in Litchfield. The walk took me through the Stations of the Cross.  This was an opportunity to reflect on what this week means to me.
I brought my journal and wrote my thoughts down as I walked. For me writing makes more permanent the thoughts and feelings that arise so they do not become lost.

The second walk was after dinner and kept me in my sweet neighborhood.
There are many mature trees around us and quite a few have little buds getting ready to unfurl.
How this made me smile!

I thanked God for the season of spring and that this pandemic didn’t occur in the dead of winter!
Could you imagine if we were more confined? Imagine if it were very cold and overcast?
It would not do anything to lift our mood!
I, for one, become a little blue towards the end of winter.
It wouldn’t have been pretty!

A question came to mind, as I expressed gratitude for the season.
“What else makes you smile?”

My reply?

My sons!
They are wonderful men and I love their sense of humor!
Thinking of some of their antics makes me chuckle!
Reflecting on their kindnesses and love brings a big smile to my face and heart!

Then there is a little eight month old boy who is the best boy!

Oh the list grew and words of gratitude tumbled out in a rush.
Truly I could go on with all that came to mind...all my dear family and friends.
Each one a treasure from Papa to me!
People are the true treasures, aren’t they?

So an opportunity to reflect upon those treasures is available to each of us!

When a name or face comes to mind that we wouldn’t truthfully be able to declare a treasure, we have the opportunity to bring them before our God and learn to see through His eyes.

You might be reading my words and wondering if I’m for real...how can anyone be so positive?
Well, I have my moments when I find myself down and anxious. But I have learned that what one focuses on grows bigger, so I turn my eyes to my God!
He can never grow too big!

I love writing and over the years have had some periods of time where the words just flowed.
Then they seem to dry up.
I’m taking the opportunity to get back into the flow. It is the perfect time, as I seem to have some extra room in my schedule!

All that journaling and those walks I take give the Spirit the opportunity to speak to my heart. Thoughts arise that I know are not from me.
Perspectives are presented that I need to consider.
Directions and paths are fine tuned.
When I’m willing and open that is!

I must confess that for a while I was chaffing at the bit, as I thought I had all the opportunities lined up for the foreseeable future. The majority of them had to be put on hold until who knows when?
Then there are all the family gatherings that, too, are on hold.
I could list many things I do not like at the moment, but then I would be missing the opportunities that are available to me!

So by the grace of God I choose acceptance of what I cannot change and the courage to change the things I can.
What can I change?
My attitude!

Then with a change in direction I can...

Go after ever opportunity Papa has made available to me to help me learn more about myself and Him.  Opportunities that lay a fresh path that is less cluttered!
The opportunities are endless!
Look around...what opportunities has the Living God made available for you?

We can start by praying...
“So teach us to number our days, That we may cultivate and bring to You a heart of wisdom.”

Psalm 90:12

No comments:

Post a Comment