Friday, January 24, 2014

Shut the Door!

We have all had days when we would like to just go into our room and shut the door in an attempt to shut the whole world out.
I was tempted to do just that the other day.
If I had, you have found a sign hanging on my door that read,
"And I am not coming out again for a very long time!!"
The problem would have been that I was in the room and often it is me who I am trying to get away from!

Oh yes, it would appear to me that it is the stress and strain of relationships that wear on me, but truthfully it is what goes on in my head in response or really reaction to all of it.

I am involved with a ministry which is experiencing some growing pains though not all of the pain is really necessary.  Personalities with agendas added to the mix make it much more challenging.  Throw in a few who are adverse to addressing issues and you have a mess in the making.
Not Papa's way of handling things.

All of this came to my attention this week and I suddenly felt as if I had the weight of the world on my shoulders.  My heart grew heavy.

Then I received a text from one of my girls, who is doing so well with her recovery.  She just celebrated a year of being clean and sober, is in a new relationship with someone who has a good bit of sobriety and is ready to move out of the sober house and live on her own.
She has been making good choices!
Just one little snag....She finds that she is pregnant.
Sigh.
A little more just landed on my shoulders and my heart grew heavier...

Oh, then there is the friend who dropped the ball and never followed through by responding to another one of my girls, who was looking for help getting to meetings.

Let's toss in one more.
I encountered a religious spirit in someone who is dear to me.
I have a strong aversion to that particular spirit!

Bent, burdened shoulders....heavy, heavy heart....

What was wrong with this picture?

I was trying to carry these burdens.

Finally I did go into my room, but before I could get into a good pout I encountered Someone else in there with me...
You know  :)
Papa!

First, I found Him in the pages of His Book.

        "Hear my cry, O God; give heed to my prayer. 
        From the end of the earth I call to You,
        when my heart is faint;
        lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
        For You have been a refuge for me,
        a tower of strength against the enemy.
        Let me dwell in Your tent forever;
        let me take refuge in the shelter of Your wings. 
        For You have heard my vows, O God;
        You have given me the inheritance of those who fear Your Name.
        You will prolong the king's life;
        his years will be as many generations.
        He will abide before God forever;
        appoint lovingkindness and truth,
        that they may preserve him.
        So I will sing praise to Your Name forever
        that I may pay my vows day by day."

As I read the words of Psalm Sixty-One my heart calmed and I was enveloped in His peace.

He is the Burden Bearer.
He hears the cries of my heart and responds with the assurance that He is able to handle it all.  After all He is the "Rock that is higher than I and the "Tower of Strength"!

The enemy will always be stirring up trouble and throwing obstacles in our way, but the LORD God is Higher and Greater than him or anyone else!

I was reminded that I have an inheritance that will outlast all the troubles and disappointments.

How can I but sing praise to His Name forever?!

Papa, may I be quicker to shut the door so I am shut in with You!










 

No comments:

Post a Comment